The application process is now open on the official website of Maharashtra Tourism
The government of Maharashtra announces the criteria for collecting taxes and charges at industrial rate for unclassified hotels, in the special hospitality category. The application process is now open on the official website of Maharashtra Tourism.
The tourism sector can play a major role in economic recovery after the pandemic, as it has the potential to grow at an annual rate of 8.5% and can add up to INR 55 billion to the state’s GDP. . However, the sector is currently losing around 2.8 lakh of jobs due to the global pandemic. Thus, it is important to strengthen the tourism and hospitality sectors.
The criteria aim to revive the sector, which has been severely affected by the COVID pandemic, and to provide better facilities for tourists. Hoteliers will be able to benefit from these industrial concessions after fulfilling the criteria set by the state government committee. These criteria are classified into two sections, Annex-A and Annex-B.
Annex-A describes 50 mandatory “basic minimum standards” which must be met by unclassified hotels. Some of them include:
- Minimum 6 rental rooms with windows / adequate ventilation.
- Hotel cleanliness
- Efficient management of reception and other public places
- Clean and licensed kitchen
- Special provisions for people with disabilities
- Code of conduct and ethical behavior of hotel staff
Annex B for ‘Green Hotel’ lists 43 standards. Green hotel status will be granted with the aim of promoting environmentally friendly and sustainable tourism practices. If these 10 basic eligibility criteria are met, the status of “green hotel” can be obtained by a private hotel. Some of them include:
- Annual training for all hotel staff in eco-friendly practices
- Rainwater harvesting system
- Effective waste management practices (waste reduction, reuse, separation and composting)
- No use of plastic
- Regular audit of the efficiency of environmentally friendly equipment
- Initiatives taken to educate and motivate customers to follow environmentally friendly practices
- Seek customer feedback for improvements
- Introduction of key cards or master switches to cut off electricity in unoccupied rooms
- Adoption of energy saving light bulbs
- Use of water and energy efficient appliances in the kitchen and laundry room
Go to the official “Maharashtra Tourism” website and click on the What’s New tab for the Industry Status Registration Form. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/102pqZqSVF_LkQWFYTCcIlIqGopWyf-MHiGjGRrJfFFw/viewform?edit_requested=true&pli=1
Industrial concessions will be applicable from the date of the registration certificate of the requesting hotel. Interested hoteliers should check the criteria on the official government website https://www.maharashtra.gov.in/1145/Government-Resolutions and on the official “Maharashtra Tourism” website https://www.maharashtratourism.gov. in / and request registration.